In 1997 Ronald retired and Duane took over the day to day operation of the business. Mike Ash became the sales person and the business has grown to a million dollar corporation. In January 2009 Ronald Gump passed away and Duane has purchased his stock to become the president of the company.
In September 2011, we moved the business to a new office on Charles Street in Shinnston. This added several hundred square feet and new showroom and offices. Chris Wade has left the field work to take over the sales operations and in August 2014 Ryan Gump has returned to us to start learning the business. He is the 4th generation of the Gump family to be involved in the business.
The employee's goal at Shinnston Plumbing is to keep the long running family tradition and high standards of professional service and customer relations. Duane and all of the employees hope that you will join us as part of the Shinnston Plumbing Company family.
The trend of the business turned to heating and air conditioning when Ronald Gump came back from the Army in 1955 and started working for Brooks. At the time Shinnston Plumbing Co. had two locations. The one in Shinnston and GMG Supply in New Martinsville, West Virginia. As one brother-in-law passed away and the other retired, the shop in New Martinsville was sold and Brooks Gump maintained the shop in Shinnston.
At this time Shinnston Plumbing was a Janitrol furnace and air conditioner dealer and installed many of the first forced air systems in the Shinnston area. In 1970, Brooks made Ronald his salesman and became a dealer for Lennox furnaces and air conditioners. In July of 1977 Ronald purchased Shinnston Plumbing Co. from his brother and immediately made changes to a 75% HVAC business.
After running the business by himself for five years, in 1982 Ronald incorporated the business and Duane Gump started to work. In 1985 Duane became service and store manger which freed Ronald to be CEO and Salesman. In the 20 years Ronald Gump operated Shinnston Plumbing the business has tripled. At that time we had eleven full time employees. In 1989 Shinnston Plumbing purchased part of Richardson Lumber property and has since built a 6000 square foot warehouse in addition to the 2000 square foot store and office building.
Howard T. Harmer started Shinnston Plumbing in 1896 in the old Opera House. Howard's brother, Paul H. Harmer, joined him a year later and moved the business after a fire in 1906. In 1924 they moved the business again to the present location where they operated until 1942 when C. L. Richardson purchased the business.
Shinnston Plumbing has been in the Gump Family since 1946 when Brooks Gump bought in with his two brother-in-laws who had purchased the business from C. L. Richardson in 1943. At that time the business was mainly plumbing and electrical. Shinnston Plumbing Co. was one of the first to use plastic drain pipe in the area.